The Friends of The New Criterion is a dedicated group of readers who donate their time, effort, and money to support The New Criterion. For over forty years, The New Criterion has provided readers with honest cultural criticism. The New York Times Magazine remarked that, “In its original press release, The New Criterion promised to ‘pose hard questions, challenge current orthodoxies, and speak out for the values of high culture.’ This it has done—with dedication to literary standards and a fierce polemic verve.” The Friends of The New Criterion recognizes the importance of this mission. The group meets several times a year in forums formal and informal to hear reflections by the magazine’s leading critics, attend panel discussions, and celebrate important book releases. Many events include luncheons, cocktail receptions, or buffet dinners. The Friends of The New Criterion has grown leaps and bounds since first conceived in 2000, and it is now an ideal way for people to meet others who share a love for The New Criterion.
There are currently two different levels of membership in The Friends program: Friends and Young Friends. All donations are tax-deductible.
Friends - Dues $2,000.
- Invitations for two to all Friends events, including cocktail receptions, lectures, panel discussions, and conferences.
- Listing as a friend in the Annual Report.
Young friends - Dues $200.
- For members in their 20s and 30s.
- Invitations for two to Friends events—cocktail receptions, lectures, panel discussions, and conferences.
- Listing as a Young Friend in the Annual Report.
Questions? Feel free to call the editorial offices at 212-247-6980 and ask to speak with the office manager. Or write to [email protected].