For several decades after the Second World War, a former rectory in Long Crichel in Dorset was a magnet for many prominent in the arts in Britain. The house was bought in 1945 by Eardley Knollys, a former art dealer then working with James Lees-Milne at the National Trust, and two music critics for the New Statesman,Edward Sackville-West, “Eddy” to his friends, and Desmond Shawe-Taylor. The magazine’s literary editor, Raymond Mortimer, soon joined them, making a fourth. The original idea was to form a worldlier, decidedly secular, English version of the Bruderhof,a Christian experiment in communal living that had existed in Germany from the 1920s and into the 1930s...

 

A Message from the Editors

Since 1982, The New Criterion has nurtured and safeguarded our delicate cultural inheritance. Join our family of supporters and secure the future of civilization.

Popular Right Now